UK Internet access costs to come down?

mike at chook.demon.co.uk mike at chook.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 17 10:13:26 GMT 2000

On 16 February 2000 17:50, Mark Ovens [SMTP:mark at dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org]
wrote:

> Err, copper doesn't rust ;-)
>
> I didn't see TW, but I'm not holding my breath for getting ADSL
> anytime soon as I live out in the sticks, well not that far out, only
> ~1/2 mile from a main road between 2 towns, but they've both got (or
> the cable is being laid) cable but there's no sign of us getting it.
> We can't even get digital TV. :-(

Rumors coming from a BTish direction tell me that the North Sea oil and gas
platform operators are keen to get ADSL and a satellite service may be
provided. Many satellite systems already have the wide bandwidth downlink,
narrow band uplink that ADSL uses, so if the demand really does exist I'd
expect to see services start very soon.

I live 4 miles from Okehampton, itself about 30 miles from Exeter and 30
miles from Plymouth, and I'm quite optimistic about getting decent comms
very soon.  We've not got mains water or gas and the electricity comes via
 overhead cables but the information age has started and many people in
Devon and Cornwall work from home for high tech businesses!

Michael Saunby