UK Internet access costs to come down?

Richard Smith rdls at jezebel.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 16 22:33:41 GMT 2000

Josef Karthauser wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 02:12:34PM +0000, Richard Smith wrote:
> > Slight tangent...
> >
> > Did you see TW the other week, which featured BT's ADSL trials. I didn't
> > realise that video on demand was at quite such an advanced stage.
> >
> > What with digital TV effectively obsoleting your VHS (i.e. the VHS needs
> > it's own set top box to be useful, and more and more digital
> > transmissions are record inhibited anyway), I can see that within a
>
> But it's easy to remove the record inhibiting.  It's no more difficult than
> video to video protection ;)

I guess my point was that we're moving from an era where phase shifting
and archiving programs for family use was considered acceptable
(probably even legal), to a new era where such practice will be
considered piracy.

> I'll not be satisfied until I can DVD record, cut the adverts and archive
> for posterity (with directories so that I don't loose stuff :)

I've never understood the point of a playback only DVD.

I'm also not sure that I understand the relavance of this thread to
FreeBSD. Perhaps I should just shut up :-)

Richard.