UK Internet access costs to come down?

Mark Ovens mark at dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Wed Feb 16 17:50:27 GMT 2000

On Wed, Feb 16, 2000 at 02:12:34PM +0000, Richard Smith wrote:
> Mark Ovens wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm, the Govt. seems to want cheaper 'net access for us as well...
> >
> >         "UK Chancellor Gordon Brown wants the cost of internet
> >         access to come down dramatically to give a huge boost
> >         to business and personal use of the web.
> >
> >         He says that if internet access charges were cut to US
> >         levels, this would deliver the benefits of e-commerce to
> >         all.
> >
> >         Mr Brown will tell an audience of City financiers on
> >         Wednesday evening that he wants to see current
> >         connection costs halved by the end of 2002"
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_644000/644592.stm
>
> Slight tangent...
>
> Did you see TW the other week, which featured BT's ADSL trials. I didn't
> realise that video on demand was at quite such an advanced stage.
>
> What with digital TV effectively obsoleting your VHS (i.e. the VHS needs
> it's own set top box to be useful, and more and more digital
> transmissions are record inhibited anyway), I can see that within a
> couple of years we'll be getting cheaper internet access anyway, through
> the package deal that comes from the telco supplying: VoD, packet data
> and voice services over a rusty piece of twisted pair.

Err, copper doesn't rust ;-)

I didn't see TW, but I'm not holding my breath for getting ADSL
anytime soon as I live out in the sticks, well not that far out, only
~1/2 mile from a main road between 2 towns, but they've both got (or
the cable is being laid) cable but there's no sign of us getting it.
We can't even get digital TV. :-(

> Richard.

	Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
	BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
			              -Poster at LinuxWorld 2000
mailto:mark at ukug.uk.freebsd.org             http://www.radan.com