Apache 1.3.6 / PHP3

Richard Smith rdls at jezebel.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 16 12:54:52 GMT 2000

Guy Harper wrote:

> Hello there....
>
> Sorry to be a pain, but I'm still struggling with all this....
>
> I have now built a 3.2 BSD box here, so I can spend more time on it.
>
> I have downloaded the following, and would like to stick them all together...
>
> apache_1_3_9_tar.gz
> php-3_0_14_tar.gz
> mysql-3_22_27_tar.gz
>
> The problem is, is that I have no idea where I should put them?... should I
> unpack them? ...etc,etc... Do I need to use the ports collection, or can I use
> these more up to date versions?
>
> I have found this http://www.dedserius.com/apache-fp/index.php3 rather helpful
> page on installation under linux... Can I bend the rules to fit FreeBSD ??
>
> Your help would be much appreciated
>
> Cheers,
>
> Guy

Hmm. If you want my advice... and your going to get it anyway ;-)

1) Read the handbook, all this stuffs explained in there.
2) If you _must_ have the latest and greatest, get them from
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/

Those files you just down loaded might work just fine, or they might
need a load of work to get them ported to freebsd. I don't know, but I
_do_ know that when someone's sorted it out, they put the result onto
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/

3) If you dont want to mess about with the /usr/ports tree, try a
pre-compiled port (called a package). For example, if you down loaded:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-stable/All/apache+php-1.3.11+3.0.14.tgz

and

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-stable/All/mysql-server-3.22.30.tgz

which I found on http://www.freebsd.org/ports in about 30s flat, the
following commands (executed as root) should get them installed:

# pkg_add apache+php-1.3.11+3.0.14.tgz
# pkg_add mysql-server-3.22.30.tgz

Myself, I like pkg_add :-)

Now the difficult part of configuring them...

HTH
Richard.