sendmail and dialups

Robert J.Dunlop rjd at chaser.co.uk
Thu Feb 10 15:29:27 GMT 2000

Hi,

> 	is there any way of dialing up your ISP and getting sendmail to
> collect all your mail held in youre mailbox on their servers
>  and send to the the correct users on the machine.

Well if you use Demon it happens automatically. A few seconds after you
log in their punt servers attempt SMTP delivery to your machine.

If your ISP only supports POP then take a look at "fetchmail". This is
a program that retrieves mail via POP or similar and then injects it into
your local mail system via your chosen MDA (sendmail).

I've used it both as a periodic polling mechanism and as a user run fetch
mechanism. To run it when you log into your ISP should be a simple matter
of putting it in your ppp.linkup file.

hth
--
	Bob Dunlop