FreeBSD: stressing 4.2 and Apache with ab

L. Cranswick L.M.D.Cranswick at dl.ac.uk
Sat Dec 30 00:19:23 GMT 2000

For stress testing a newly installed FreeBSD 4.2 system
with apache (primarily for webserving) - I am
using the "ab" program  that comes with apache.
(this is a default minimum FreeBSD install with 4.2
and fresh compiled apache 1.3.14)

While also running an rsync job in the background:
Running AB in quick succession via the keyboard:

 http://perl.apache.org/guide/performance.html#Tuning_with_ab_ApacheBench

 ./ab -n 259 -c 250 http://www.example.com:81/test/test.pl

First and second time running the above goes great and
gives a quick result.  But on the third time I get :

   socket: "No buffer space available"

Waiting for a minutes or so seems to clear things up and
I can repeat this again.

Is there any reason for the above?  What silliness might
I be doing to generate this?  This is not the
final production machine and is a used 300 MHz Pentium
with 128 Meg RAM and SCSI harddisk.  I am mainly interested
in showing all who may query why using FreeBSD over
other systems is a good idea -  and showing its robustness
(as well as security and ease to administer).   Though
I would have expected things to slow down rather than give me
the above type of response?

Though I should note the odds of it getting the above type
of load are very remote.

What are the optimum responses people are getting out
of ab and apache with FreeBSD - and are there any
tweaks for optimisting FreeBSD performance?

Cheers,

Lachlan.

--
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: l.cranswick at dl.ac.uk  Ext: 3703  Room C14
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk