Vinum Corruption

Greg Lehey grog at lemis.com
Fri Dec 29 00:18:38 GMT 2000

On Thursday, 28 December 2000 at 13:46:01 +0000, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> Don't run vinum raid 5 under RELENG_4, not at least until Greg's fixed
> it.  It appears to be seriously broken for reasons unknown.
>
> I've Cc'd Greg on this to allow him to comment if he wants to.

Indeed.  I don't know either.  I wish you'd stop making blanket
statements like this.  As I mentioned in an earlier mail, on a very
small number of systems (3 so far), we've seen some problems which we
haven't been able to reproduce.  They have *nothing* to do with the
problem mentioned here, which, for some reason, I haven't seen before.

> On Wed, Dec 27, 2000 at 01:06:43PM +0000, David Dooley wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On one of my machines running FreeBSD 4.2-Stable. It is a twin Intel 450MHz
>> machine with 256MB memory. Built around a Asus mother board with built in SCSI
>> AIC-7880 controler. I have built a Vinum RAID-5 volume (config below).
>>
>> The problem I am getting can be seen below, the Plex is corrupt and several of
>> the subdisks are stale. This is with very little traffic on the volume and
>> takes about 2 days to get into this state. The only way I can get it out of
>> this state is to destroy the volume and rebuild.

Please read http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/how-to-debug.html and supply
the information I ask there.

>> I am not getting any error messages from the SCSI subsystem and it's getting
>> really annoying as all though the disk stays attached I cannot write anything
>> to the disk nor mount or unmount it from it's NFS or local mounts.

That's strange.  I'd have guessed that these are SCSI chain problems.
Vinum hammers on the SCSI chain in ways that normal disk access
doesn't, and it's relatively common to see problems as a result.  What
messages are you seeing?

>> Anyone any ideas, am I using to many disks there are 7 9GB drives
>> resulting in a 50GB partition. Is there a limitation with in vinum
>> as to size or NFS as to how much it can handle being exported.

Vinum doesn't have any practical limit to volume size.  The biggest
one I have seen is 2 TB, but when they tried to newfs it, they
discovered that the ufs file system size limit is 1 TB :-)

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key