Vinum Corruption

David Dooley dpd at raffles-it.com
Wed Dec 27 13:06:43 GMT 2000

Hello,

On one of my machines running FreeBSD 4.2-Stable. It is a twin Intel 450MHz
machine with 256MB memory. Built around a Asus mother board with built in SCSI
AIC-7880 controler. I have built a Vinum RAID-5 volume (config below).

The problem I am getting can be seen below, the Plex is corrupt and several of
the subdisks are stale. This is with very little traffic on the volume and
takes about 2 days to get into this state. The only way I can get it out of
this state is to destroy the volume and rebuild.

I am not getting any error messages from the SCSI subsystem and it's getting
really annoying as all though the disk stays attached I cannot write anything
to the disk nor mount or unmount it from it's NFS or local mounts.

The disk is mounted from system raffles on to two other systems dev and gate
as /usr/home, on my laptop I mount just my home directory from the disk into
my home directory as /usr/home/dpd/.remote with various symbolic links into
the NFS mounted file system to keep things consistant.

Anyone any ideas, am I using to many disks there are 7 9GB drives resulting in
a 50GB partition. Is there a limitation with in vinum as to size or NFS as to
how much it can handle being exported. Any help or ideas would be welcome.

David

--------------------

vinum configuration
7 drives:
D drive1f               State: up       Device /dev/da1s1e      Avail: 0/8678
MB (0%)
D drive2f               State: up       Device /dev/da2s1e      Avail: 0/8678
MB (0%)
D drive3f               State: up       Device /dev/da3s1e      Avail: 0/8678
MB (0%)
D drive4f               State: up       Device /dev/da4s1e      Avail: 0/8678
MB (0%)
D drive5f               State: up       Device /dev/da5s1e      Avail: 0/8678
MB (0%)
D drive6f               State: up       Device /dev/da6s1e      Avail: 0/8678
MB (0%)
D drive7f               State: up       Device /dev/da7s1e      Avail: 0/8678
MB (0%)

1 volumes:
V homec                 State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:         50 GB

1 plexes:
P homec.p0           R5 State: corrupt  Subdisks:     7 Size:         50 GB

7 subdisks:
S homec.p0.s0           State: stale    PO:        0  B Size:       8678 MB
S homec.p0.s1           State: up       PO:      512 kB Size:       8678 MB
S homec.p0.s2           State: stale    PO:     1024 kB Size:       8678 MB
S homec.p0.s3           State: up       PO:     1536 kB Size:       8678 MB
S homec.p0.s4           State: up       PO:     2048 kB Size:       8678 MB
S homec.p0.s5           State: up       PO:     2560 kB Size:       8678 MB
S homec.p0.s6           State: up       PO:     3072 kB Size:       8678 MB