Hardware questions

Jonathan Belson jon at dookie.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 9 10:02:19 GMT 2000

Hiya

Does anyone tried using a Compaq SCSI tower unit with
FreeBSD?  It consists of seven 12x CD-ROMs in a minitower
sized case, and the controller board has a couple of
Symbiosis chips and an Intel 960.  I tried it briefly
when I got it, but the boot process failed - Compaq have
a habit of coming up with unusual hardware configurations,
so it may require special drivers.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for cheap PCMCIA
network cards?  I can get a NetVin 10bT for about 25GBP
inclusive; any other suggestions for cheap 10/100?  Pending
delivery of my cable modem, I'm setting up an ancient
Compaq Elite 486 laptop to use as a firewall.

Cheers,

--
C-YA
Jon