IDE CD writers

Jonathan Perkin sketchy at netcraft.com
Fri Dec 1 14:22:15 GMT 2000

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 12:56:09pm +0000, Jon Schneider wrote:

> I am thiking about getting a writer and as they are sooo helpful (like sending
> me a firmware upgrade for a machine out of guarantee at not cost) Plextor is
> my brand of choice.
>
> My machine has SCSI, but would it be ok to get the (cheaper) PX-W1210TA IDE
> flavour ? The cdrecord page mentions this model but it is unclear whether
> FreeBSD (and its sisters) are lacking SCSI-over-ATAPI or something.

FreeBSD 4.x and above comes with the burncd(8) utility for burning to
IDE devices, and has proved to be extremely stable and reliable.  It
should support all IDE-based CDR[W]s, this box has

acd0: CD-RW <SONY CD-RW CRX120E> at ata1-master using WDMA2

and is yet to produce a coaster.  At home I use a Yamaha 4416 SCSI
cdrw with cdrecord, and to be honest I'd take the Sony+burncd over it
anyday - blanking a cd for example is immesurably quicker, and the
extra load generated by the IDE device is negligible.

--
  Jonathan Perkin  <sketchy at netcraft.com>  +44 (0)1225 867914
 Netcraft Ltd, Bradford on Avon, UK - http://www.netcraft.com/