ISDN PPP for Dummies!

Iain M Weir email at iainweir.co.uk
Tue Aug 29 15:24:38 BST 2000

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:38:00 +0100, you wrote:

>Firstly, which PCI ISDN cards do people recommend and where can they be
>sourced from?

ELSA 1000pro PCI. Don't know about this one=20
AVM Fritz!Card PCI  (this is sold as the BT speedway in the uk) from
BT. insight, dabs etc

>Secondly, is there an idiots guide to setting up a FreeBSD box to be an =
IP
>router out over ISDN?  Basically, do I have to have IPFW and NAT setup, =
if
>so how difficult is it? Then how to I setup PPP to route out to the =
internet
>(ppp.conf looks pretty straight forward) but I am conscious of the fact =
that
>I don't want the system to raise the line at every verse end with no =
good
>reason.

Setting up the card as per the care and feeding of i4b
http://people.freebsd.org/~hm/i4b/index.html using sppp, and
nat/firewall as per
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/dialup-firewall/index.html
is easy and works well for me. However if you want multilink you need
userland ppp which is still giving me one or two problems.

Hope that helps ,

Cheers iain.