smp and 4.1

Roger Hardiman roger at cs.strath.ac.uk
Fri Aug 25 07:16:57 BST 2000

Hi Dan

> i did a standard install and then copied generic kernel to mykernel and
> edited it so that all the smp options were unhashed

Ok, here is the SMP section in the kernel config.

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
#options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor
Kernel
#options        APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
# Optionally these may need tweaked, (defaults shown):
#options        NCPU=2                  # number of CPUs
#options        NBUS=4                  # number of busses
#options        NAPIC=1                 # number of IO APICs
#options        NINTR=24                # number of INTs

All you want to unhash is the first 2 for now.

The other 4 are for special cases.

Try building a new kernel with just the first 2 unhashed
and let us know how it goes.

Good luck
Roger
--