Polling the community

John Toon j.a.toon at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 18 14:47:04 BST 2000

Josef Karthauser wrote:

> As already mentioned on this list, if you're building your
> own machine http://www.pcicase.co.uk/19/page7.html looks good :)
>
> (Just received delivery of one - they're not bad.)
>
> Joe

If you're building your own machine, I *strongly* recommend
http://www.overclockers.co.uk.

By buying the components from them, I have a built an Athlon 1Ghz
machine with 384 MB of RAM, Abit KA7-100 Mainboard, UDMA 100, IBM 15 gig
HD, for around £700-£800. The Athlon is actually a 950 Mhz core, so it
is totally stable (just to be on the safe side, I have five case fans).
Try beating that!

John.

PS. If you're using FreeBSD with a similar setup to this, you need to
build a custom kernel with apm *disabled*; otherwise you'll get some
disasterous kernel messages, it seems to be a clock bug with FreeBSD,
that is still not fixed under 4.1-STABLE. Otherwise, it works
beautifully.