Newbie: Setting up PPP in 4.0 stable

Tony Balazs tony at rothstein.co.uk
Thu Aug 17 09:19:43 BST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From:	Neil Ford [SMTP:neil at ourshack.com]
Sent:	16 August 2000 18:46
To:	Tony Balazs
Cc:	'freebsd-users at uk.freebsd.org'
Subject:	RE: Newbie: Setting up PPP in 4.0 stable

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:48:25 +0100, Tony Balazs said:

> We currently use MDaemon under Win 95 as our mail server, with static IP and
> SMTP both ways.  What would be the recommended mail server to use under FreeBSD?
> Our client PCs run Outlook 97 (comments please...) and most of the people who
> mail us seem to use it.

Ooooh.... how to start a religious war :-) (Choice of MTA, along with shell and
editor are sure fire ways to get discussion going).

I use Postfix ( http://www.postfix.org ) which I like for it's ease of
configuration and the simplicity with which it can replace Sendmail (which is
the default choice on FreeBSD). Others will recommemd Exim or Qmail or maybe
even Sendmail itself.

Alongside the MTA you will probably need a POP3 server, one popular choice is
qpopper, though there are others.

As for the clients, if your desktops are running Windows, there is probably
little reason to change. Better the devil you know, especially if other things
are changing.

Neil.
--
Neil C. Ford
neil at ourshack.com / neil at binky.demon.co.uk
Sent using Pronto! - http://www.muhri.net/pronto

Thanks again, Neil.  I will investigate the servers you mention.
Just to clarify one thing - Postfix (e.g.) would be used to download
and upload mail from/to the ISP; qpopper to distribute mail to/from
the client PCs; is that right?

Tony.