Newbie: Setting up PPP in 4.0 stable

Neil Ford neil at ourshack.com
Wed Aug 16 17:46:00 BST 2000

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 16:48:25 +0100, Tony Balazs said:

> We currently use MDaemon under Win 95 as our mail server, with static IP and
> SMTP both ways.  What would be the recommended mail server to use under FreeBSD?
> Our client PCs run Outlook 97 (comments please...) and most of the people who
> mail us seem to use it.

Ooooh.... how to start a religious war :-) (Choice of MTA, along with shell and
editor are sure fire ways to get discussion going).

I use Postfix ( http://www.postfix.org ) which I like for it's ease of
configuration and the simplicity with which it can replace Sendmail (which is
the default choice on FreeBSD). Others will recommemd Exim or Qmail or maybe
even Sendmail itself.

Alongside the MTA you will probably need a POP3 server, one popular choice is
qpopper, though there are others.

As for the clients, if your desktops are running Windows, there is probably
little reason to change. Better the devil you know, especially if other things
are changing.

Neil.
--
Neil C. Ford