Newbie: Setting up PPP in 4.0 stable

Neil Ford neil at ourshack.com
Wed Aug 16 12:44:29 BST 2000

On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 12:09:38 +0100, Tony Balazs said:

> When I do:
>
>  ppp
>  * term
>  * atd9,08450798888
>
>  all seems fine (connection established, login accepted, dynamic IP address).
>  But I can't get PPP or Kernel PPP to dial up.

Personally I would suggest not bothering with Kernel PPP. Userland PPP is
definitely the way to go.

Hopefully Brian Somers (maintainer of PPP) will be along shortly to provide
some guidance, though I do know he's wading his way through a frightening
backlog of email.

>  For PPP, my /etc/ppp/ppp.conf is:
>
>  default:
>
>   #
>   # Make sure that "device" references the correct serial port
>   # for your modem. (cuaa0 = COM1, cuaa1 = COM2)
>   #
>
>   set device /dev/cuaa1
>
>  # set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
>   set speed 115200
>   set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
>   set login "TIMEOUT 5 login:-\\r-login: ppp word: netcom"
>   set timeout 120
>   set ifaddr 0 0
>   add default HISADDR
>   enable dns
>
>  papchap:
>
>   #
>   # edit the next three lines and replace the items in caps with
>   # the values which have been assigned by your ISP.
>   #
>   accept chap
>   accept pap
>   disable pap
>   disable chap
>  ISP:
>
>   set phone 9,08450798888
>   set authname whatever1
>   set authkey whatever2
>
>  But when I do:
>
>  ppp
>  * dial netcom OR dial whatever1
>
>  nothing dials

I'd need to check my files (which are on a different machine) but they look
okay. However what you should be typing is 'dial ISP' if my memory is correct.

The other thing I would recommend is reading the man page. Whilst it's long
(around 30 A4 pages) it is detailed and should go a long way to making thing
clear. Also check out the Pedantic PPP Primer (
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/ ), another excellent source of help.

Neil.
--
Neil C. Ford