Mounting Ext2 formatted Jaz disc

Charlie Root j.a.toon at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 11 12:49:09 BST 2000

Hi,

I've new to FreeBSD, having been using various distibutions of Linux on
my main
machine till now. However, I have one problem which doesn't make sense
to me,
and is stopping me from retrieving all my files (namely my /home
parition from my
previous Linux box).

I've backed up my data onto my external SCSI Jaz disc. Here is the
relevant
output from dmesg.

#dmesg

da0 at adw0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
da0: <iomega jaz 2GB E.17> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da0: 3.300MB/s transfers da0: 1911MB (3915600 512 byte sectors: 255H
63S/T
243C)

Looking at this, I presumed that the command to mount my Jaz disc under,
say
/mnt would therefore be:

mount -t ext2fs /dev/da0a /mnt

but I get this error message:

ext2fs: vfsload(ext2fs): No such file or directory

I've tried mount with practically every relevant device node I can think
of
(i.e. practically every variation of da0, etc); I even created some
slice nodes
with MAKEDEV (/dev/da0s1, /dev/da0s1a, etc.) to try these. None have
worked.

The Jaz disc itself is a very clean single partition (written with
cfdisk),
simply one partition of 1911 MB all of Linux Ext2.

I checked my /sbin directory, and "mount_ext2fs" is definitely there -
so
presumably the kernel can load the module dynamically. Meanwhile, my
SCSI
adapter (Advansys Ultra-Wide) is working perfectly, it is detected
correctly
during boot,  and I can quite happily access my SCSI CD-RW drive.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I've spent a couple of hours battling
this
problem, and have read substantial swathes of the excellent FreeBSD book
on the
CD-ROM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

John.

PS.  My system is:

#uname -a
FreeBSD  4.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE #0: Mon Mar 20 22:50:22 GMT
2000
root at monster.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386 #