Promise IDE controllers?

Jonathan Belson jon at dookie.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 10 09:43:18 BST 2000

 Hiya

 I just purchased a nice 20Gig drive to stick in my Pentium Pro
server.  I went through the normal procedure to install 4.1
on it and everything went swimmingly.

 The problem came when I tried to boot off the new drive - the
stupid BIOS on my motherboard (QD600) won't recognise drives
bigger than 8Gigs and hangs on after printing the ID string.
The company who made the board aren;t producing BIOS updates
for it any more.

 THe only options I see are to use a boot floppy (tedious), use
a small 'bootstrap' drive or buy a Promise IDE controller and
attach the drive to that.

 That brings me to my question - can anyone confirm which models
work with FreeBSD?  The 4.0 release notes said that Promise
cards are supported, but my 'supported' Mylex DAC960 RAID controller
causes FreeBSD to reboot continually.

 Cheers,

 --
 C-YA