[Regional] South of England get-together

Paul Richards paul at originative.co.uk
Tue Aug 8 22:15:16 BST 2000

Josef Karthauser wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 02:42:59PM +0100, Neil Ford wrote:
> > Well having had back a few responses it would appear there is at least some
> > interest.
> >
> > >From the mails received the popular choices seem to be;
> >
> >      Location: Brighton
> >      Timing:   midweek
> >
> > So with this in mind we just need to decide on a venue and a date. Maybe
> > someone a little more au-faix with Brighton wouls like to make some venue
> > suggestions (not sure Pavilion's offices count Joe :-) ). As for the date,
> > how's about we shoot for either Wednesday 23rd or 30th of August?
> >
> > Let's see if we can get this thing nailed down.
>
> Maybe, although there are some more interesting venues with bars and
> relaxing atmospheres available :)
>
> I don't mind any time, although it may be better to reschedule it
> towards the end of the week if people want to come from further afield.

Not to suggest that it shouldn't be easy for people from further afield
to attend, but, surely the whole idea of regional meetings is that they
suit the people in the region. I think we should get away from this
whole idea that everyone should attend all meetings everywhere and focus
on getting a local turnout for regional meetings. If only 6 people turn
up for a Brighton meeting then that should be seen as good. If 6 "local"
people turned up at regional meetings all over the country then we'd
really be starting to get somewhere. There's a role for national
get-togethers but I think we also need to foster local more casual
meetings on a much more frequent basis. Having said that, I hope to
attend :-)

Paul.