Staffing trade show booths

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Tue Aug 8 19:38:35 BST 2000

Hi guys,

Anyone fancy working a BSD booth at a tradeshow?

I've got my @bsdi.com hat on at this point.

As I said at the user group meeting last month, BSDi are looking to involve
people in the user group, and to make it easier (for those group members
that want to) for them to promote BSD.

One of the ways we want to do this is through tradeshows.  Some of this
might involve sponsoring a booth for the user group (if that's what people
want, and we can find people to volunteer to run it).  We're thinking about
this for ApacheCon, so if anyone's interested in this (and would volunteer
to do some organising) then drop me a line.

However, there are going to be some tradeshows at which  we won't have a
huge BSDi presence.  This might be because there's little opportunity for
BSDi (corporate) to promote itself, or where the expected visitors are
unlikely to be BSDi customers (for example).  However, it's still appropriate
to have a BSD presence of some sort.

Where this is the case, would people be interested in volunteering to help
run a BSD booth (or stand, or whatever).

[ *None* of the following is set in stone -- it's hypothetical, and I'm
  looking for feedback. ]

Suppose, for example, the a show ran for three days.  If you were to
volunteer to assist at the show then you'd get a half day's training
beforehand.  Then you'd be expected to 'work' the show for 2 of the days,
and the other day would be yours to attend the show as normal.  There'd be
the usual giveaways (t-shirts (probably 'limited edition' ("BSD ApacheCon
Booth Crew 2000". . .)), posters, horns, that sort of thing), and your show
fees and food/drink expenses would be covered.

Thoughts?  Is there anything missing from the above that you'd expect to
see, or are you surprised by the inclusion of something?

I'm one of those people that actually like working the booths at shows,
which is why it's structured the way it is.  Meeting other members (and
potential members) of the community at shows is the main reason (and, at
the risk of sounding cheesy, "is it's own reward") I do it.

I'm aware that some people might want to view this as "Aiee, evil BSDi
are trying to exploit the user group to get cheap labour".  There's not a
lot I can do to combat that, except reiterate that this is about community
building, and I'm still *very* much a member of the FreeBSD community.