Two servers

Mike Bristow mike at urgle.com
Thu Aug 3 14:29:11 BST 2000

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 11:27:36AM +0100, Jeremy Prior wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 11:16:45AM +0100, David Richards wrote:
> # hi
> #     is it possible to have two machine with the same ip address ? we have
> # two domains and was wondering if i could run servers for the
> # eurosoft-aus.com on one and eurosoft-uk.com on another one ?
> # we are limited to one 1 ip address and for us to get more ip address costs
> # about 1000 quid + vat. Yeah dont worry, we are moving our leased line to
> # another isp.
>
> It's not physically possible to run two machines with the same IP
> address (which would get the packets?).

<ANNOYING-HABIT TYPE="PEDANTRY">
Yes it is (cf 10/8 and friends), but it's probably not the way to
solve the problem at David's hand.
</ANNOYING-HABIT>

> The common solutions to this problem are Proxies and HTTP Switches.
> (See http://www.netcraft.com/os/accuracy.html for some pointers.)
>
> To keep this as a FreeBSD solution, how about installing a reverse
> squid proxy on your gateway machine, and then use that to route HTTP
> traffic according to the host selected?

With these comments, I agree holeheartedly.

But I would want to know why the two sites need be on physically
different machines first (is there another solution to the problem?),
and if it would be possible to NAT other machines (ie, workstations)
to release more globally routable addresses.

--
Mike Bristow, seebitwopie