Two servers

Jeremy Prior jez at netcraft.com
Thu Aug 3 11:27:36 BST 2000

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 11:16:45AM +0100, David Richards wrote:
# hi
#     is it possible to have two machine with the same ip address ? we have
# two domains and was wondering if i could run servers for the
# eurosoft-aus.com on one and eurosoft-uk.com on another one ?
# we are limited to one 1 ip address and for us to get more ip address costs
# about 1000 quid + vat. Yeah dont worry, we are moving our leased line to
# another isp.

It's not physically possible to run two machines with the same IP
address (which would get the packets?).

The common solutions to this problem are Proxies and HTTP Switches.
(See http://www.netcraft.com/os/accuracy.html for some pointers.)

To keep this as a FreeBSD solution, how about installing a reverse
squid proxy on your gateway machine, and then use that to route HTTP
traffic according to the host selected?

jez
--
Jeremy Prior  <jez at netcraft.co.uk>  http://www.netcraft.co.uk/
 Netcraft Ltd,  1 Somerset Street,  Bath,  BA1 1TS,  England.