working behind a proxy/firewall

Paul.Newman at pgen.com Paul.Newman at pgen.com
Wed Aug 2 12:02:31 BST 2000

further to the recent question, more about setting your environment variables so
that make fetches stuff thru your "wingate." I'm behind an MS proxy too :-(

Note in particular the required notation for HTTP_PROXY_AUTH.

Let us know if you dont have any success after this.

export the following environment variables

HTTP_PROXY=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:XX
# being the IP address and port number of the HTTP proxy server

HTTP_PROXY_AUTH=basic:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xx:username:password
# you can tell if you need the basic bit by running mozilla and see if it asks
for your username and password for basicrealm if
# you try to go somewhere after telling it your proxy IP number and password.
After basic is your proxy server's IP address
# and port number.

This sets you up for using the HTTP proxy. According to man fetch, HTTP proxies
can also handle FTP.

For good measure I added the following  (They might not be needed but I havent
tried it without them)

HTTP_AUTH=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xx
# being the same address and port as the http proxy server

FTP_PASSIVE_MODE=Y

FTP_PASSIVE=Y

FTP_PASSWORD=my.email at my.domain
# my proxy server passes an illegal email address to ftp servers otherwise
(user at localhost)

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.

+44 (0)24 76 424000