Desktop PC - recommendations sought

Neil Ford neil at ourshack.com
Wed Aug 2 09:34:21 BST 2000

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 07:05:44PM +0100, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 12:46:40PM +0100, Neil Ford wrote:
> > Seeing as I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that my build world problems
> > might be flakey hardware related (it was self built),
>
> Does "make world" always fail in the same place (i.e., if you run it twice
> without updating the code is the failure point always the same)?
>
> If it is then it's not flaky hardware, you've probably just run cvsup in the
> middle of someone else's commits (CVS operations on multiple files are,
> sadly, not atomic).
>
> If it's dying in random places then it probably is the hardware.

It was dying in different places each time. One time it did actually drop out
wit a "signal 11" faliure which is what started to make me suspicious.

> > recommendations for a suitable replacement. Not worried about specifics
> > (processor speed, hd size, RAM, etc.), more looking for boxes people know work
> > well with FreeBSD, or possibly more likely, manufacturers to avoid due to poor
> > build quality/crap service.
>
> Anything with an ASUS motherboard.  Sworn by them (instead of at them) for
> over six years now.

In the end I went with plan B and bought a new motherboard. Got a Soyo board as
that was what I could get my hands on quickly from my local parts supplier.
Nice piece of kit, good manual and happily supports my K6-2 500. Even came with
a copy of Ghost in the box!

I'm happy to report that it's installed and my desktop is now running 4.1
STABLE.

That'll teach me to be a little more thorough in future.

Neil.
--
Neil Ford
neil at ourshack.com / neil at binky.demon.co.uk