port system behind a firewall

Mike Bristow mike at urgle.com
Tue Aug 1 13:22:30 BST 2000

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 12:26:18PM +0100, David Richards wrote:
> hi,
>     is there a way of using the ports system behind a firewall?

Yes.  But how depends on the firewall.  Essentally, you need to get the
original tarballs somehow.

You could do this by:
	a) setting the enviroment variable HTTP_PROXY to
	   something suitable (it'll be used for ftp requests too);
	   see fetch(3) for details
	b) setting FTP_PASSIVE_MODE to yes (if the firwall allows passive
	   ftp)
	c) downloading the tarballs onto floppy at home ;-)
	d) I think the distfiles are on one of the CD's (mine
           are at home, so I could be wrong); if you've got them
	   set DISTDIR to point to the right place and the ports
	   makefiles will find them.

Hopefully, one of the above will sort you out.

--
Mike Bristow, seebitwopie