ADSL in UK finally !

daniel lawrence danny at alphazed.com
Thu Apr 27 16:16:10 BST 2000

On Thu, Apr 27, 2000 at 03:18:11PM +0100, alex at frustum.clara.co.uk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just received this email from BT. It looks like the dream of ADSL
> is getting closer to reality.
>
> The only thing that is worrying me is the fact that they require
> Microsoft's OS and free USB slot for their modem. What worries me is
> if the modem will be supported under FreeBSD.
>
> If any of you have any ideas/thoughts about this I would glad if you
> could share them.

I was told by a tech at BT that we have a choice of USB or a regular ethern=
et
presentation. He said they run DHCP and that in principle BSD would work, b=
ut
it hasn't been tested. They were very reluctant even to let me sign up unle=
ss I
was running Windows.

> Thank you,
>
> -Alex
>

> ----- Forwarded message from BT Openworld <btdigital at btinternet.com> -----
>
> From: BT Openworld <btdigital at btinternet.com>
> To: "alex at frustum.clara.co.uk" <alex at frustum.clara.co.uk>
> Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:07:50 "GMT"
> Subject: BTopenworld announcement =16 pre-order now!
>
> As promised, we=12re pleased to give you the latest news on the launch pl=
ans
> for BTopenworld =16 BT=12s new broadband portal and high-speed Internet s=
ervice
> using ADSL technology.  In addition, you can be among the first to pre-or=
der
> and take advantage of BT=12s free installation offer.
>
> Highlights of our BTopenworld press announcements include:
>
> 7 There are BTopenworld packages for consumers and small businesses (both
>   single and multi-user options). All featuring 512Kbps download speed.
>
> 7 BTopenworld will provide always on Internet access and a range of highly
>   personalised, content-rich and interactive applications with monthly ch=
arges
>   starting from #39.99 (inc VAT).
>
> 7 More than 50 content partners have signed up, including Carlton Online,
>   CNN, Monster.com, Extreme Sports Channel, and Thomascook.com and more i=
n the
>   pipeline.  Go to www.btopenworld.com to find out more.
>
> 7 Pre-order before 30 June 2000 and get free BTopenworld installation on
>   consumer and business single user packages. (Normal installation charge=
 #150).
>   To pre-order fill in the form available at www.btopenworld.com, no paym=
ent is
>   required at this stage.
>
> We are currently rolling out BTopenworld across the UK, however we still =
have
> some work to do, and installation is subject to survey. Please see the we=
bsite
> for more details on when we will be rolling it out to your area, and be s=
ure to
> pre-order now if you would like to be among the first to enjoy BTopenworl=
d!

> If you no longer wish to receive emails from the BTopenworld team at this
> address with information on the launch of ADSL, please reply to this email
> with do not mail in the title.
>

> ----- End forwarded message -----

daniel lawrence               AlphaZed, Ltd
mailto:danny at AlphaZed.com     http://www.AlphaZed.com
+44 (0)1322 410 419           London