Renaming multiple files en masse?

David Marsh at home drmarsh at bigfoot.com
Tue Apr 11 21:35:03 BST 2000

Hi folks,

OK, this is a really dumb question (but hopefully an easy one)..

Could some kind person tell me how to rename multiple files en masse?

I'm not too much of a shell wizard, and was wondering how I would quickly
knock together a script to do this.

To give an example (well, actually _the_ specific example ;-) I need to
rename a directory full of .html files into .htm files (ugh, I know).

And I don't really know where to start..

And what I suppose is really the meta-question behind the question: can
anybody point me in the direction of some good shell tutorials online
(or should I just fork out on a shelf-full of O'Reilly Nutshell guides? ;-)

Thanks in advance,

David.

--
David Marsh,drmarsh at bigfoot.com | http://www.viewport.co.uk/          |
Glasgow, Scotland.              | If urgent, phone: +44 77-121-848-90 |