ports trouble

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Apr 10 18:14:44 BST 2000

My ports don't work any more!

They build fine, but when I try to install one it fails when it gets
to the stage of faking up the pkg (e.g. right after ===> Registering
installation for soundtracker-0.3.10). The exact symptoms are that the
system is forkbombed by infinite make recursion [1] and when make is
killed the software has been installed but the package's directory
(e.g. /var/db/pkg/soundtracker-0.3.10) is empty.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Is it likely to
be in my ports collection or in my pkg database? (I'm slightly
reluctant to blow away and re-cvsup my ports tree from scratch because
I'd have to check that I haven't missed any local hacks.)

[1] which it handles with remarkable aplomb -- the system remains
by-and-large usable and recovers quite quickly when make finally dies
from fork failing.

Tony.
f.a.n.finch    fanf at demon.net    dot at dotat.at
306 soothing salve for your intake valve