Differences/wierdness in UK FreeBSD mirrors??

Lachlan Cranswick l.m.d.cranswick
Mon Sep 27 02:09:39 BST 1999

Hi,

I could be doing something silly here and am wondering if
others are noticing anything similar or can sort me out.

=====

I am getting problems installing FreeBSD 3.2 and 3.3 from the ftp.mirror.ac.uk
and ftp2.uk.freebsd.org sites (which are the same site???) where the X-server
will not install despite being selected during a nove and express install.
Also, it seems like the FreeBSD 3.3 install floppies from ftp.mirror.ac.uk
are actualy FreeBSD 3.2 install floppies???  Trying to muddle my way through
this and do a confirm on this.

Have I caught some server in the middle of an update or some such thing?

=====

One thing is that some of the different UK mirrors seem to have different
time stamps on the files.  Which can cause nasty things to occur if you
switch sites for FTP based mirroring purposes (which I have been doing
tonight to try and sort a few things out with my local FreeBSD mirroring).

ftp://ftp.uk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.3-RELEASE/floppies/
  CHECKSUM.MD5                                         304 bytes Thu Sep 16
10:21:00 1999
  README.TXT                                             2 Kb    Thu Sep 16
10:21:00 1999 Plain Text
  boot.flp                                            2880 Kb    Thu Sep 16
09:23:00 1999
  fixit.flp                                           1440 Kb    Thu Sep 16
09:24:00 1999
  kern.flp                                            1440 Kb    Thu Sep 16
09:22:00 1999
  mfsroot.flp                                         1440 Kb    Thu Sep 16
09:21:00 1999
  pccard/                                                        Fri Sep 17
07:14:00 1999 Directory

ftp://ftp2.uk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.3-RELEASE/floppies/
  CHECKSUM.MD5                                         304 bytes Thu Sep 16
04:21:00 1999
  README.TXT                                             2 Kb    Thu Sep 16
04:21:00 1999 Plain Text
  boot.flp                                            2880 Kb    Thu Sep 16
03:23:00 1999
  fixit.flp                                           1440 Kb    Thu Sep 16
03:24:00 1999
  kern.flp                                            1440 Kb    Thu Sep 16
03:22:00 1999
  mfsroot.flp                                         1440 Kb    Thu Sep 16
03:21:00 1999
  pccard/                                                        Sat Sep 18
11:50:00 1999 Directory

=========

ftp://ftp.uk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.2-RELEASE/floppies/
  CHECKSUM.MD5                                         256 bytes Tue May 18
03:32:00 1999
  README.TXT                                             2 Kb    Tue May 18
03:32:00 1999 Plain Text
  boot.flp                                            2880 Kb    Tue May 18
03:32:00 1999
  fixit.flp                                           1440 Kb    Tue May 18
03:32:00 1999
  kern.flp                                            1440 Kb    Tue May 18
03:31:00 1999
  mfsroot.flp                                         1440 Kb    Tue May 18
03:28:00 1999

ftp://ftp2.uk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.2-RELEASE/floppies/
Up to higher level directory
  CHECKSUM.MD5                                         256 bytes Mon May 17
21:32:00 1999
  README.TXT                                             2 Kb    Mon May 17
21:32:00 1999 Plain Text
  boot.flp                                            2880 Kb    Mon May 17
21:32:00 1999
  fixit.flp                                           1440 Kb    Mon May 17
21:32:00 1999
  kern.flp                                            1440 Kb    Mon May 17
21:31:00 1999
  mfsroot.flp                                         1440 Kb    Mon May 17
21:28:00 1999

------

Lachlan.

Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: l.cranswick at dl.ac.uk  Ext: 3703  Room C14
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk