hi

Richard Smith richard
Fri Sep 24 12:47:07 BST 1999

Ben Cuthbert wrote:

> I have installed FreeBSD 3.2
> and when i try and mount the cdrom drive
> it
> does not do anything
>
> like in linux
>
> mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
>
> it just goes into a invalid command

Depending on how you installed FreeBSD, you may find that a `/cdrom'
directory already exists in the root directory, and an entry for cdrom
already exists in `/etc/fstab' (it always is on my systems, but then
again I always install from CDROM). This allows the simpler command:

	mount /cdrom

to work.

If you have an ATAPI cdrom drive (i.e. one hung off the IDE controller),
the correct device name is either `/dev/acd0c' or `/dev/wcd0c'. The
latter being symlinked to the former.

So the full command becomes:

	mount -t cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /cdrom

I would strongly recommend editing `/etc/fstab' and adding something
like the following line:

	dev/wcd0c /cdrom cd9660 ro,noauto 0 0

so you can use the simpler command in future.

If it's a scsi cdrom drive, check the output of the `dmesg' command for
it's device name, then substitute that in the above.

See `man mount' and `man fstab' for more information.

HTH HAND
Richard.