Querying on mirroring FreeBSD Web and FTP sites in UK academic site.

L. Cranswick L.M.D.Cranswick
Thu Sep 23 20:15:09 BST 1999

> > To promote FreeBSD around here for hacker resistant servers (crystallographic
> > and scientific labs mainly) I would like to create a mirror of the FreeBSD
> > web and ftp sites.  (my server at the moment is an SGI running IRIX 6.5.x)
> >    freebsd.ccp14.ac.uk  (also aliased to freebsd.dl.ac.uk)
>
> Ok, t'would be nicer if it was a FreeBSD machine :).

Throwing 5K worth of SGI into the local canel without doing the
appropriate paperwork could raise a few eyebrows.

> > I have found the web-based mirrored information but cannot
> > seem to find the ftp based mirroring information.  Is doing
> > FTP based mirroring of the FTP site considered sociable or
> > is there a page describing this as well?
>
> Feel free to mirror from ftp.uk.freebsd.org if you wish, with a not
> antisocial update frequency.

Perhaps it might be better if I mirror off the HENSA/Mirror.ac.uk area
and also not bite off more than I can chew.  50 Gig of Hard-disk does not
seem to get you all that far these days(?).

If I didn't mention this before (is a reply to Paul Osbourne that I
thought was going to the list), another impetus for this is due to
installation of a firewall and the desirability of having local
installation of operating systems (redhat Linux is the one
everyone wants - but would like to have some competition side
by side - Debian Linux and FreeBSD) - which also gets around
internet/Janet links that can be less than nice during the day.

> I used to pull the FreeBSD UK Web mirror with rsync, but that
> was switched off a while ago and replaced with cvsup.  I suppose
> you could use anonymous cvs to pull off anoncvs.freebsd.org.
> Can you compile the 'cvs' program on your server?
> (http://www.uk.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html#ANONCVS)

Will look into this.

Lachlan.

--
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: l.cranswick at dl.ac.uk  Ext: 3703  Room C14
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk