Cheap 100bT hubs

Nik Clayton nik
Fri Sep 17 08:25:22 BST 1999

On Wed, Sep 15, 1999 at 09:05:30PM +0100, Jonathan Belson wrote:
> I thinking about upgrading my crufty old 100bT hub. The
> only companies in the cheap end of the market (60-70GBP
> for a 4-way) are Intel and NetGear.
>
> Does anyone have any experience of their products?

I've got the Intel four way.  Small, simple, doesn't generate a lot of
heat, and has a power switch, so you're not forever unplugging and
replugging the power cable.

About the only problem is that it's not 10/100, which means that all
the machines connected to it need to be 100BaseT.  This caused me problems
when a PCMCIA card died, and the only replacement I could get at very
short notice was a 10BaseT card.  Fortunately I keep a Cat5 crossover
cable handy.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5 at cs.colorado.edu>