setuid and sh

Richard Smith richard
Fri Sep 10 09:19:36 BST 1999

The documentation and the source code suggests that I should be able to
setuid a /bin/sh program (script). I have a test prog that hooks SIGHUP
and a shell script that sends one using "kill -hup `cat prog.pid`".

Signals are received ok, if both progs run as a normal user.
Signals are received ok, if both progs run as root.

I "chown root:staff script" and "chmod u+s script" and try again with
the prog running as root, and the shell running as a normal user and I
get "Operation not permitted".

Am I missing the point here?

Thanks for any illumination.
richard.