FreeBSD Articles for new LINUX ANSWERS magazine

Mark Ovens mark
Sat Sep 4 17:41:34 BST 1999

On Sat, Sep 04, 1999 at 05:32:46PM +0100, Andrew Boothman wrote:

> On 02-Sep-99 Mark Ovens wrote:
> >       "Indeed, FreeBSD has its roots in software written long
> >       before Linux had ever been thought of."
> >
> > I have seen a quote that purportedly came from Linus himself that
> > went something like; "If FreeBSD had appeared 2 years earlier,
> > Linux would not have happened". It would be good if we could track
> > this down and establish a provenence for it.
>
> I'll look into this.
>
> >       "FreeBSD is not Linux. And Linux is not FreeBSD. FreeBSD
> >       is derived from very old code, has a long history, has a
> >       single unifying development project and benefits from it.
> >       Linux is Unix-like, recently written, has no unifying
> >       development project and benefits from it. The two are very
> >       much complementary operating systems with much to offer
> >       those who investigate the choices and opportunities available
> >       to them. But one thing is for sure. A little red demon is
> >       a MUCH better logo then a little penguin!
> >
> > I think this paragraph could be mis-construed as "FreeBSD > Linux"
> > thus prompting a flamewar (the last sentence is obviously
> > tongue-in-cheek). I really think we should make a concerted effort
> > in our submissions to the mag to put across the message that we
> > (the FreeBSD community) is NOT anti-Linux.
>
> I'm not so sure. I very deliberately point out, "the two are very much
> complimentary operating systems", but I accept that we need to be explicit in
> making people understand our position on Linux. I'll make a few changes.

Apologies. On reading it again I realized that I'd mis-read the
second sentence. I read it as "Linux is Unix-like, recently written,
has no unifying development project and the benefits from it"
                                       ^^^^^
which of course suggests that Linux is inferior because it doesn't
have a unifying development project.

Sorry.

--
STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.