Upgrading to FreeBSD 3.2 etc

Dominic Mitchell dom
Wed Sep 1 23:01:09 BST 1999

On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 07:01:46PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> [treading carefully in the minefield of religious wars]

*kaboom*

:-)

> I guess it's what you're used to. I got introduced to UNIX on a
> Sun386i (yes, an INTEL 386 in a Sun box - it showed just what a
> pig's ear M$ made of exploiting the power of Intel's first 32-bit
> chip) about 10 years ago. Of course csh is the default shell on
> Suns, and I've used it that long I know my way around it, ``!!''
> history and all.
>
> I've read numerous posts expounding the virttues of bash. zsh etc
> but never felt the need to change because I've not found anything
> I can't do with csh (my Sun at work has ~300 aliases set up (I can
> remember ~90% of them)), but I agree that for a newbie from the
> DOS/Win world other shells would be more intuitive, arrow key
> history etc.

It's not just for the newbie.  There are things you can do in zsh that
you just plain can't do in other shells. Damned useful things too.  Have
a look in the docs section of the www.zsh.org website, at the "Intro to
Zsh" bit.  It's quite enlightening.

Zsh also comes with a script which can convert most csh aliases
directly, and it also supports bang history.  There's no excuse to stay
with csh.