BSD and Linux vs MS

Freddy Sjauw-En-Wa FreddyS at nsmg.seagatesoftware.com
Tue Sep 28 11:57:22 BST 1999

All,

I am sure you all are aware of some 'new' winds in the world. I am currently
actively looking to moving my machines away from MS OS's. I have decided on
FreeBSD. Have been playing with it since rev. 2.2.5 But due to other
commitments had to put this on the back burner.

Now running 3.3 and linuxbase 5.2 of course. I would like to either run
VMware ( www.vmware.com <http://www.vmware.com> ) or StarOffice 5.1 for
linux on my BSD box(es). But there seems to be some incompatibility with
these.

My personal view is that if we can get an alternative to the OS of MS, I
cannot move away from the business suite, we can have a push forward on
visibility of FreeBSD and move in front of Linux as such. The MS Office
suite I find very neat and working within the set limits, no issues there. I
am not going to start a new OS war here, but I want to be able to run the MS
office suite on FreeBSD.

Can we work on this?

Freddy Sjauw-En-Wa, B.Sc., B.Eng.
-Homo Bonae Voluntatis-
VERITAS Software
Tel: +44(0)1932 876876  Fax:+44(0)1932 876854
For support, Tel: +44 870 606 6000
Email: uk.support at veritas.com