A EGCS G77 install page => + still problems finding X11 files

Lachlan Cranswick l.m.d.cranswick at dl.ac.uk
Tue Sep 28 01:13:15 BST 1999

Thanks to a hand from Matthew Seaman, I have an EGCS G77
install page.
   Installing EGCS G77 Fortran 77 on FreeBSD 3.3
   http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/solution/bsdunix/freebsd_g77_installation.html
(the installation in FreeBSD is definitely very slick)

-----

I still get the problem finding the X11 files - so still
looking into this:

xdrvr.c:33 X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory
etc, etc, etc

Also, is there a way to stop/start/restart the network
if you have made some relatively major config changes
to the network there is no need to reboot.

In SGI IRIX, it is:
  /etc/init.d/network stop ; /etc/init.d/network start
But I cannot seem to find an equivalent in FreeBSD?

(for this (presently) client machine, the first thing I
like to do after an install is turn portmap, inetd,
sendmail, etc off so that there are no listening ports
which means I am presently doing a reboot after changing
the rc.conf file)
For a client machine, these are not needed and when in
paranoid user mode - offer a possible probe/in for hackers?

Lachlan.

PS:  Unless it is there already, in a future Install script
of FreeBSD, could there be a question whether the user
would like no open services/ports by default?
(including Xwindows by using the "-nolisten tcp" option)
Is opening all those services in inetd, sendmail, etc a good
thing unless the user is specifically asked(?).
Especially as FreeBSD does make them very easy to turn on/off.

(I get the impression with Linux and other UNIXs that people
decide to keep these on (if prompted in the install) as there
is no obvious way to turn them on/off once you need them)

Apologies if this seems finicky but when you are doing X
installs a day trying out various configs - little things like
this come to mind.

Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: l.cranswick at dl.ac.uk  Ext: 3703  Room C14
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk