Using ntpdate(8) and UK time servers

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Mon Sep 27 08:00:22 BST 1999

On Mon, Sep 27, 1999 at 01:15:16AM +0100, Andrew Boothman wrote:
> On 26-Sep-99 Mark Ovens wrote:
> > 2 quick questions. Where is there a list of ntp servers in the UK
>
> I found a list of international public NTP servers by searching in a search
> engine.
>
> Personally, i use
>
> ntpdate tick.freeuk.net ntp.cs.strath.ac.uk ntp0.pipex.net ntp1.pipex.net
> ntp2.pipex.net
>
> FreeUK is the ISP that I use most of the time, Pipex had their servers as open
> for general public access and Stathclyde Uni are such nice people, I'm sure
> they won't mind! :-)

It's good policy to e-mail postmaster at those sites (or a more specific
address is one is in that list) and ask them if it's OK.  I doubt anyone
will say "no", but it's polite, and also means they can e-mail you if
they're going to be doing anything that disrupts service ("We're Y2K
testing this server, don't use it unless you want your date set to 29
Feb 2000. . .")

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5 at cs.colorado.edu>