inbox indigestion

Dr R D Gidden rdg at theleys.cambs.sch.uk
Thu Sep 23 17:04:35 BST 1999

Hi,
We are running 2.1.5 (Yes I know it's *old* !) and
sendmail to handle all the mail for the school.

I suppose it's something I've done but I can't spot it -
anyone know the answer to:  no one can delete their
read mail, so they keep getting the same stuff shot
down to them each time they log on, together with
any new stuff.

Inboxes are in /usr/spool/mail, which is owned by
root, with chmod 777. Individual inboxes are owned
by each individual user, with chmod 700.  Which is
how I thought I had it to start with, so I don't
know why they can't alter their own file.

Help gratefully received - even if it's something
really stupidly obvious!  ;-)

Bob.