PPP Callback

Brian Somers brian at awfulhak.org
Wed Sep 8 14:19:46 BST 1999

> Hi Brian;
>
> Thanks for replying..
>
> >With callback, you must be able to pick up the return call as if it
> >was a completely separate setup - the calling ppp doesn't magically
> >know how to pick up an incoming call.
>
> Yeap, It's already configured to be a dial-up box via mgetty and ppp
> -direct.
>
> >Also, if you're talking to a M$ server that want's chap
> >authentication, you'd better build ppp after you've installed DES on
> >your system.
>
> It is wanting chap, and we have rebuilt ppp already :-)
>
> >Apart from that, what seems to be the problem ?
>
> Unsure really. The NT server seems not to like it much. I've posted the
> logs at http://www5.shellnet.co.uk/callback/ (rather than posting to the
> list) if this is any assistance to you - i'd appreciate the assistance
> :)

Looks like there are two problems.  The first one (which is what's
failing at the moment) is that you've got PAP ``enable''d.  The peer
is refusing to authenticate using pap and is rejecting the request.

You probably need to remove the ``enable'' line or try enabling chap
or mschap etc.

Second, you've got ``set callback auth''.  I believe M$ only
understands CBCP, so you'll need to ``set callback cbcp'' and either
``set cbcp *'' if you want the peer to choose the number it dials
back on or ``set cbcp 1234567'' to ask the peer to dial back on
1234567.

--
Brian <brian at Awfulhak.org>                        <brian at FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>                   <brian at OpenBSD.org>