How to stop fetchmail(1)

Mark Ovens mark at dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Tue Sep 7 01:26:59 BST 1999

On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 12:24:29AM +0100, Brian Somers wrote:
> > The manpage shows ``fetchmail --quit'' as the way to kill the
> > fetchmail daemon but it doesn't state *how* it kills it. Does it
> > just kill the daemon unconditionally or, and I suspect this is the
> > case, if fetchmail is currently getting mail does it wait until
> > the daemon goes back to the idle state before killing it?
>
> Fetchmail seems to be very reliable in background mode.  With my arms
> closed and my eyes tied behind my head,
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sounds like too much Guinness to me Brian:)

> I'd guess that it finishes
> downloading the current message and exits cleanly..... or in the
> worst case, it just drops the half-downloaded data on the floor
> knowing that it'll stay on the server anyway.
>
> I often remove the transport from under fetchmail and haven't seen
> any suspicious duplicates (or ``holes'') yet.

OK. I have it set up to start (``fetchmail -d 30'') in ppp.linkup
and ``shell fetchmail --quit'' in ppp.linkdown. From what you are
saying I may as well just start the daemon in /etc/rc.conf and not
bother stopping it when closing ppp, would you agree?