How to stop fetchmail(1)

Brian Somers brian at awfulhak.org
Tue Sep 7 00:24:29 BST 1999

> The manpage shows ``fetchmail --quit'' as the way to kill the
> fetchmail daemon but it doesn't state *how* it kills it. Does it
> just kill the daemon unconditionally or, and I suspect this is the
> case, if fetchmail is currently getting mail does it wait until
> the daemon goes back to the idle state before killing it?

Fetchmail seems to be very reliable in background mode.  With my arms
closed and my eyes tied behind my head, I'd guess that it finishes
downloading the current message and exits cleanly..... or in the
worst case, it just drops the half-downloaded data on the floor
knowing that it'll stay on the server anyway.

I often remove the transport from under fetchmail and haven't seen
any suspicious duplicates (or ``holes'') yet.

--
Brian <brian at Awfulhak.org>                        <brian at FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>                   <brian at OpenBSD.org>