FreeBSD Articles for new LINUX ANSWERS magazine

Culf culf at mcc.ac.uk
Thu Sep 2 12:20:43 BST 1999

Hi,

It was largely the sentiments expressed here by David and others that
mrompted me to forward the details to Roger; it seems this is a good
opportunity to get in early and contribute, but having it called "Linux
Answers" from the start immediately takes some of the wind out of the
sails of the BSD community as a whole.  Not that we want to be seen to be
in direct competition with Linux of course, but it's the whole PR thing that
Jordan's mentioned from time to time.

I especially think that this should be an opportunity for us to educate
people about the whole of the BSD range, confusing though it may be to
an "outsider" at first.  I use FreeBSD day to day, and that's my choice, but
I've installed NetBSD as well and use it on other systems.  I also run
Linux, (that wasn't my choice :), however, I don't religiously advocate
one over any of the others, such that I'll refuse to use them: I have a
preference but I'm not blind to the other options.  Religiously
zealotry in the Unix world (and even more generally in the computing world)
has caused a lot of harm over the years (and still does), and I'm keen to
encourage a forum where we can educate and inform, rather than be seen to be
sniping away at each other, as seems to happen so often in places like
Slashdot.

Culf.