PPP Configuration Problems!

Brian Somers brian at awfulhak.org
Wed Sep 1 06:39:26 BST 1999

[.....]
> > WRT the Operation not permitted bit, is ppp installed properly ?
> > This error would result if ppp tried to open the tun device as a
> > normal user :-/  Is there anything ``manual'' being done when
> > installing ppp ?
>
> I'm not really sure what you mean here. I'm using ppp as it was installed as
> standard on a 3.1 release system. If, for some reason, ppp was trying to open
> tun0 as a normal user, how can it be told not to?

Well, it can't really.  Ppp switches to uid 0 before opening
/dev/tunX and then switches back to its normal uid.  I was really
speculating here 'cos I thought this might be the same problem as
we're seeing in the -stable snapshot releases.

The -stable problem's been fixed now though, and you're running 3.1 -
so I was a bit off course :-(

Are you using a GENERIC kernel, or have you installed your own ?  If
you run ``ifconfig -l'' it should list tun0 as one of the interfaces.
Assuming that it does, and that /dev/tun0 exists and lools like this:

$ ls -ln /dev/tun0
crw-------  1 66  68   52,   0 Aug 31 16:49 /dev/tun0

and that ppp itself looks like this (bar size differences):

$ ls -ln /usr/sbin/ppp
-r-sr-xr--  1 0  69  239568 Aug 25 21:08 /usr/sbin/ppp

I can't imagine much going wrong...

--
Brian <brian at Awfulhak.org>                        <brian at FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>                   <brian at OpenBSD.org>