cheap freebsd screamer

Mark Ovens mark
Wed Oct 20 22:24:52 BST 1999

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 07:15:55PM +0100, Clare & Peter Stubbs wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've finally fulfilled a long standing dream of owning an SMP freebsd
> box, so I thought I'd mention it just in case it was someone elses
> dream as well.
>
> ABIT make a dual celeron mother board called a BP6 which is
> about ?105, and the celeron 400's are about ?50 each, which has
> to be good value. So for about ?200 you can have 800mhz of
> FreeBSD on your desktop!
>
> I've heard of people overclocking the 366mhz celerons to nearly
> 600mhz. I haven't been able to push mine at all, so I guess Intel
> has put a stop to it with the more recent chips.

As a slight aside. In this month's PC Pro there is an article about
a company producing refrigerated PCs. They build a box around an
Athlon 600 chip, fill it with froen and connect it to a refrigeration
unit. The chip then runs at -40C! and is overclocked to 800MHz,
with AMD's blessing (silicon can run faster the cooler it is).

Apparently Carrera will sell you one of these beasties for ~UKP4500.