cheap 100 Meg ethernet cards

Martin Hopkins martin.hopkins
Wed Oct 20 17:53:01 BST 1999

    Roger> Martin,
    >> I'm afraid I have to agree with everyone else, the Intel cards rule.
    >> My only advice is don't touch a Kingston card, I can't recall how much
    >> they cost but they aren't worth it!.

    Roger> Can you recall what chipset the Kingston card was using.

    Roger> I've got a motherboard with a RealTek 8139 chip onboard.
    Roger> However, it only runs at 10 Meg right now as I don't
    Roger> have any other 100 Meg cards or hubs.

    Roger> I've always found the RealTek 8029 PCI cards (NE2000 clones)
    Roger> to work just great at 10 Megs.

Hold on I've got one in a machine here - it's not being used, I'm
using the Intel card that is also in the machine :-).

de0: <Digital 21140A Fast Ethernet> rev 0x22 int a irq 14 on pci0.14.0
de0: 21140A [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.2
de0: address 00:c0:f0:30:11:d9

I seem to recall having used another Dec based 100MBs card with more
success (possibly an SMC).

Martin.