Hardware Upgrade

Brian Somers brian
Thu Nov 18 07:26:52 GMT 1999

[.....]
> Sixth; if you get an original BIC Biro, remove the business end and ink
> tube, leaving the plastic case tube, you will find that the hole in the
> writing end fits perfectly over the ends of the plastic tabs on the
> motherboard, closing their little arms, so that the tabs can be easily
> withdrawn from the holes in the motherboard.

Wow !  What an excellent idea !  I've ripped my fingers to shreds in
the past on these damn things.

[.....]
> Tenth; set up any jumpers on the board as stated in the manual for your
> motherboard for the combination of processor and memeory which you are
> using. (many boards are jumperless these days - refer to the motherboard
> manual)

The only *real* mistake I've made building machines in the past was
when I mis-jumpered the CPU voltage (as 5v, not 3v) and fried my CPU.
However, I suspect this isn't a problem these days as (all?) CPUs run
at three volts now (AFAIK).
[.....]

Getting the fan off can sometimes be a bit nasty...  they vary quite a
bit, and it's kind of tricky to explain or draw some ascii art...
You probably have one with a heat sink built in, and if you're using
your old one it will probably be glued to the old CPU as well as
being clipped to the CPU socket.  Once you figure out which bit of
the metal thing that passes through the fan block is the one to
squeeze to release, you can gently pull the fan & CPU apart  You don't
really need to glue the fan to the new CPU either...

You can take the CPU out by releasing the arm at the side of the CPU
socket, don't try to crow-bar it out like you had to with old (486)
motherboards.  You'll need to put the new CPU in before mounting the
fan.

There are two hooks - one on each side of the CPU socket, and some
metal bits on the fan will hook onto these (hook one, slide the metal
bit [further] through the fan towards the other side and while holding
it in place, hook the other).  It takes a bit of fiddling the first
time, but it's not too horrible.

--
Brian <brian at Awfulhak.org>                        <brian at FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>                   <brian at OpenBSD.org>