Linux/UNIX bashing plus Dec Alphas

L. Cranswick L.M.D.Cranswick
Mon Nov 1 03:10:50 GMT 1999

> > this crashes/makes unusable: Win95, WinNT 4,
> > All types of Linux running X and in command
> > line mode, Solaris 7, IRIX 6.5.x.  However, FreeBSD
> > 3.3 (and Digital UNIX 4.0d for Dec Alpha) seem to
> > be able to carry on regardless (and thus give an
> > operator a chance working out what process is running
> > amok if they do notice a performance problem)
> > A good OS kernel should not allow a user-land
> > program to make it un-usable.
>
> Which (if any) of the systems were using quotas?

None that I know of.

-------

Also, I will be in London giving a crystallographic
internet talk at Birkbeck this week and there is
a chance to do some FreeBSD install demos on some
Dec Alphas presently running Open VMS.  (have already
sold some of PC FreeBSD) The ports system would
be the main selling point and wide variety of software.

How Similar in install and nuances is installing
FreeBSD 3.3 on Dec Alpha compared to PC?  Differences
in getting the XServe/KDEr going?

Or are Dec Alpha's a completely different kettle of
fish with FreeBSD?

Lachlan.

--
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: l.cranswick at dl.ac.uk  Ext: 3703  Room C14
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk