FreeBSD: Tricks for getting 3.3 on Laptops?

Roger Hardiman roger at cs.strath.ac.uk
Sun Nov 28 08:01:04 GMT 1999

>I have been trying to get the freebsd 3.3 laptop images
>to do a network based install on some Toshiba laptops.

Well, the sandard install disks should have detected
3com PCMCIA cards.
It may fall over if your PCMCIA chipset in the toshiba
is not detected correctly.

The best tip is to use PAO.
have a look at www.jp.freebsd.org/PAO

PAO is a Japanese project to add much improved PCMCIA support
(both chipsets and cards) and better APM support to FreeBSD.
They even supply a set of customised Install Disks
with a custom kernel with all their PAO code included.

I've not used PAO in 3.x, but we used it all the time in 2.2.x here
at Strathclyde Uni for network installs.

Good Luck.
Roger
--
Roger Hardiman