PNP modem woes

Mark Ovens markov
Tue Jul 27 19:09:41 BST 1999

On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 01:33:23PM +0100, Paul Rose wrote:
> Previously, Mark Ovens said:
> : This sounds horribly like a WinModem. If it is then it's not going
> : to work under FreeBSD. It requires Windows, as the OS performs the
> : function of the hardware (DSP?) in a real modem. Check this out
> : before wasting any more time with it (if it doesn't say explicitly
> : in the documentation, a clue that it *isn't* a Winmodem is if it
> : can work under DOS).
>
> As it happens, it was a Winmodem. :( I guess it was just a combination
> of not being told what it was, and me not reading the newsgroups, and
> mailing lists properly.
>
> That said, has anyone any recommendations for a good modem that'll
> work under FreeBSD, preferably 56k; that I can pass on to my friend.

Since you're in the UK I'd recommend Pace modems. They're made in
the UK and designed for our phone system. I use a 56 Voice Internal,
which can also work as a speakerphone and answer machine under
Windows (I don't use these features myself). I get consistent 48K
connections now I've flashed it to V90 from K56flex (~44K under
K56flex).

Also, their tech support is first class, both phone and e-mail (I
had problems with my ISP under NT4, which turned out not to be a
modem problem).

mailto:markov at globalnet.co.uk              http://www.radan.com